Top 5 Reasons to Go to Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party.
Boo!!! Ha ha, hope I didn’t scare you there! Sorry about that, seems I am getting into the spirit of things a bit early this year, but with Laura writing about planning the perfect Walt Disney World trip I thought I take a moment to tell you about one of my favorite times to be in WDW, specifically the Magic Kingdom. When the spooks come out to play and the moon shines a little brighter from behind the clouds. I am talking of course about Mickey’s Not so Scary Halloween Party. This event is a hard ticketed event for park goers during certain nights running September through October. There are discounts available I believe for DVC Members and AP holders so that should help if you happen to be either one of those. The party hours are 7pm to Midnight. I suppose you could think of it as ‘Spooky’ Magic Hours. So now that all the formalities are out of the way let me break down my top 5 for you!
5. Music/Lighting- The entire park soundtrack and lighting schemes are transformed to reflect the spirit of the party. Special party music is played over the parks sound system with a special pirate DJ. He makes lots of corny one liners about being a pirate on his pirate radio station while he plays an eclectic mix of rock, pop and disco. As you walk through other areas of the park you can hear that the regular music taken on a more creepy tone as well, or at least that’s the way I remember it. The lighting that is set up throughout the park is amazing! Walking down main-street has an entirely different vibe to it. Ghosts are projected onto the multicolored shops. Out side the queue to Pirates of the Caribbean lighting is set up to make it look more eerie than normal. It’s just beautiful and really adds to all the fun.
4. The Haunted Mansion- You can’t go to the Halloween party and not ride the Haunted Mansion, that’s just…just…. well….CRAZY! But seriously, this attraction is already great, but when the Halloween Parties come around it really kicks into high gear! You can get a photo outside where the horseless carriage is, make sure and get a photo with Memory Maker because you’ll be very surprised to see what ghostly ghouls show up with you! The cast members also go all out at the Haunted Mansion. Most of them put full on face paint to make themselves look like the un-dead, and some of them will just grunt and groan at you as you walk past. They really get into character! The grave yard also comes alive so make sure you check that out. When Laura and I visit we ride the Haunted Mansion at least 6 to a dozen times, we just love it that much!
3. Trick or Treat Trails- If you have kids this is a no brainier, or even you’re just a big kid at heart like Laura and I, then this is a must do! On your park map for the party there are trails clearly marked to guide you to the ooey-gooey-goodness awaiting you. You are also given a bag that you are able to fill to the brim with candy! There is no limit to how many times you can travel one trick or treat trail, so go ahead do the same one over and over again till your bags is filled all the way up because it’s the same candy all over the park. However, that said you might be curios to see the other trails because each trail has it’s own theme and quirk to it, so if you don’t care so much about filling your bag with candy and would rather see some eye candy then go on an adventure and check out the other trails!
2. Boo To You Parade- This parade is AMAZING! Everything from the music to the costumes this parade nails the theme of the party perfectly. My favorite part of the parade is Haunted Mansion float and the grave diggers, but perhaps I’ve said too much… Only kidding around, the parade is really just a lot of fun from beginning to end. I almost forgot to mention, it is kicked off by non-other than The Headless Horseman himself! Now that is something you’ve got to see! This horse is trained to make it’s way through the street with a rider that really cannot see much of anything. Aside from the Haunted Mansion float this is another one of my favorite moments of the parade.
1. Hallowishes- Now of course Disney would not be Disney if there wasn’t a nighttime spectacular. Fortunately for us this event is no exception to that rule! In my opinion probably one THE BEST fireworks displays that Disney puts on is this one. It’s hosted by the Ghost Host from the Haunted Mansion and a horde of other special guests ‘stop by’ for a visit and to display their brand of villainy in the sky. It’s a fast moving show which I prefer over the other shows Disney puts on. The soundtrack|lighting colors used in the shows are hands down the very best when compared to the other special even parties I’ve been to. Still don’t believe me that this is the best fireworks show? I only need two words make my point here: Panoramic Fireworks! That’s right! The finale is something you’re just going to have to experience for yourself. I just cannot to put into words how astoundingly awesome it is!
So, there you have it! Do you agree with my list? What would you add or change? I’d love to hear what you have to say! Also feel free to share memories you have from then Halloween Party. Thanks and till next time, I’ll see ya real soon!